My Pattern Pages Are Here!

My Pattern Pages Are Here!
copyright 2008 Laura Blanton

Monday, March 10, 2008

Heart Design #2 in variegated hand dyed thread



For my taste, this is a perfect example of variegated thread is not at it's best in every pattern. While I do not dislike it, I think it is much prettier done in the solid thread. No matter how lovely the HDT, and this one by Sherry, Lady Shuttle Maker, is lovely, it just doesn't always work. This one is Grapefruit and I have tatted lots of pretty things with it. It's not the thread - it's the pattern. Where I start the pattern with a locked picot at the beginning of a chain, when you get back around and join, the two colors make it stand out too much. I scanned both hearts together so you can see the difference.

Most of you experienced tatters know this well. For any newbies, here is a good example. While I will always love tatting with variegated thread, especially HDT, sometimes it just isn't at it prettiest in certain patterns.

5 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Well said, Laura! The same holds true for knitting or crocheting with variegated yarn. Sometimes the color just pools in the wrong spot. Still, I love both your hearts!

Marilee Rockley said...

I agree as well. The color makes for more options to consider, and adds to the artistic challenge. So many possibilities! Some are better than others, and that makes for interesting discoveries, as well as providing opportunities for growth.
Your design is lovely, Laura! Great job!

Jeff Hamilton said...

I have to agree with you here. Some patterns do look much better made with variegated colours than other patterns. However, I wonder if some of the threads Marilee made with long distances between colours would work in this design.

Unknown said...

Well put Laura, I think HDT with slight variances works well but with many colour changes it just does not do your heart justice.

Tattycat said...

Thanks for all of the comments. It is true of most mediums. The color changes have to be just right to work. Yarnplayer, you probably know his better than an of us. And, you are right - it does provide opportunities for growth. What do you think about Jeff's observation that your long distance color changes might work better? Clyde, the variegated might not work well, but the solid color HDT certainly did, huh?