My Pattern Pages Are Here!

My Pattern Pages Are Here!
copyright 2008 Laura Blanton

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tatter's Dream Cake for Valentine's Day




Or, for today if you are snowed in or just hungry!

Since they were telling us yesterday that we would be snowed in today, I decided to bake a cake while making chili. I was going to make just one layer of Mark's chocolate cake but I had used my last box of Dark Chocolate cake mix. All I had was French Vanilla. Necessity being the mother of invention, I had to make that work.

With Mark's generous permission, here is what I did.

1 pkg. French Vanilla cake mix
2 eggs
1 can cherry pie filling

Preheat ove to 350 degrees F.

Stir together by hand and pour into a greased 9 x 13" pan. It will be thick like brownie mix.

Bake for about 40 minutes and cool completely.

In the meantime, I made cream cheese frosting like this. (Probably the same recipe you all use.)

2 pkgs. 8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter or margarine
1 box (lb.) of confectioner's sugar
1 Tablespoon of vanilla
about 3 Tablespoons of milk

Cream softened cream cheese and butter. Add vanilla. Add confectioner's sugar slowly and beat until smooth. One trick I have found to keep the mess down is to sit the mixing bowl in the sink for this part of the process. When smooth, add enough milk to make spreading consistency.

Spread over cooled cake either in the pan or removed from the pan. I left mine in the pan as it was just for us.

It made a beautiful pink layer and I think it would be a nice Valentine cake, especially if baked in a heart shaped pan, or cut into a heart shape. I had some Valentine sprinkles that I put on top.

Thanks for the inspiration Mark. I hope some of you will find a use for this cake and enjoy it as much as we are.

No comments: