My Pattern Pages Are Here!

My Pattern Pages Are Here!
copyright 2008 Laura Blanton

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Rainbow Snowflake




Okay, here we go. It is almost ALL MINE! About a month ago I started the center rings from a pattern in Gwyn and Elwy's book. I just couldn't figure out how to go any further with the pattern, so I put it aside hating to throw it away. Finally, yesterday I picked it up and just started tatting. Yes, you heard me - I just started tatting! It was great fun and I figured I had nothing to lose except a little time. It was very difficult to keep it from ruffling as the rings were so close together. So, I pressed it flat and kept going. Next, I used ends from Marilee's Rhubarb Crisp and Sherry's Grapefruit to do the little test tat in the second picture. I absolutely cannot stand to throw an inch of these threads away. I don't know what it is, but it inspired me and helped me to see what would fit on the snowflake. Then, I studied it and tried to figure out what would tie them together and how I could do it in one run. I used a Flora size 20 variegated green for the chains and Sherry's grapefruit for the rings.

I am so happy with this snowfake. I know I can't call it my own design completely, but it is the closest I have come except the little flower I did last year. Maybe this will set me on the road to designing from scratch.

Thanks everybody!

11 comments:

Tat-a-Renda said...

Lovely!
There is nothing to it, just one ring at a time with a chain connecting them together, and you are done! Soon you'll be looking at all kinds of thng and asking yourself "Can I make that in tatting?", :-)

Have a great time.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

That snowflake is one of the prettiest I have ever seen!

Jeff Hamilton said...

It may not be completely your design, but it is still very pretty. Good job!

Jeff

Tattycat said...

All of you make me feel so good about my snowflake! I hope I will be able to do more of my own ideas. I am starting to see tatting in all kinds of things. I was so excited last night that I couldn't settle down and get ready for bed.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Laura, I love this snowflake! The color combination is awesome!

Unknown said...

Wonderful snowflake Laura I can see why you are so excited. I think you are now ready to go on your own and see what you create. Remember there are no mistakes when making your own design, just a unique piece of tatting.

Tattycat said...

Aren't the colors lovely Diane? I am so much more inspired with the hand dyed threads.
Thanks for encouraging me Clyde. I can't wait to see what I can come up with!

Marty said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors you've used and the design and ... oh ... just everything!

Karl and/or Madeline said...

I believe this is one of the prettiest you have done. I really like it. Madeline

Gina said...

I clicked on this one to see it full size and have to tell you your tatting is impeccable! The tension is even and the picots all the same. Very nice!
:-) Gina

Tattycat said...

Wow! I'm just blown away. Marty, I am so glad that you like everything about it!
Madeline, it really pleases me that something I came up with myself is so pretty to you. You are my best cheerleader.
Gina, I consider this very high praise. After all, how often do you hear things like this from a goddess? I am always so humbled by all of you who design and do such lovely work. Thank you indeed.