My Pattern Pages Are Here!

My Pattern Pages Are Here!
copyright 2008 Laura Blanton

Monday, May 07, 2012

This is a picture of my latest, male conquest. He is a Broad-headed skink indigenous to North America. This one is about 14" long, but they can grow to 17", (including the tail), with the female being the larger of the two. You can see his lady in front of him. They are raising young under our storage shed. Hubby discovered them and called me out to see them. When I walked up and started to talking to them, as I must admit I do to all creatures, they moved towards me instead of away! In fact, they probably moved to within 3' of where I was standing. I seem to have this effect on reptiles. Go figure. When I started singing softly, they moved even closer still. I must remember not to sing if I see a snake!!! He was very protective of his lady, but was not at all concerned that one of their young came out to see me. Some men are just like that I guess. That was our excitement for the day and my excuse for not tatting. Sorry.

1 comment:

Madeline's Album said...

I never heard of a skink. We learn of many things following our favorite blogs. Have a blessed evening. Madeline